Why use a registered Electrician ?

It's safer – we strongly recommend you use a electrician who is registered with a government-authorised scheme. Safety is the most important factor when carrying out any electrical work at your home.

The UK has a comparatively good record of electrical safety, but it doesn’t stop around 2.5 million adults getting an electric shock every year1.

Properly installed and well-maintained electrics can save lives – including yours. So it’s important that people who work to exacting standards carry out your electrical work.

A registered electrician will work to the UK national standard and when they’ve completed the work will issue you with a safety certificate. In technical language this means the work has been designed, constructed, inspected and tested in accordance with the national electrical safety standard – BS 7671. To you it means it’s safe.

It's easy to make an electrical circuit work – it's far harder to make the circuit work safely. That’s why it’s better to use a registered electrician.

All of the government-approved scheme operators have a complaints procedure. They investigate any complaints about registered electricians who have not complied with the appropriate technical standard.

1 Conducted by Ipsos MORI using a nationally representative quota sample across Great Britain. The results have been weighted to reflect the known profile of the adult population in Great Britain. Based on a confidence interval of +/- 3.5% and the sample size of 809 the actual number could vary between c1.3 and 4 million adults aged 15+. Electric shock is defined as a mains-voltage electric shock rather than a static shock of the type a person might get from a car, for example.


Since January 1 2005, all electrical work, apart from like-for-like replacements of damaged power points and light fittings is subject to approval by Local Authority Building Control Officers.
This means that work such as a new lighting circuit in the kitchen, or the fitting of an electric shower, must be notified in advance to the council. An Inspector will visit to test the work at the householder’s cost. 

Electrical works forming part of a major project requiring Building Regulations approval will be included within the principal application. However, works solely carried out to the electrical system require a separate application, unless they are carried out by a competent person, registered with an approved Part P self-certification scheme. The competent person must provide a self-certification certificate to the customer and also forward a copy to Building Control within 30 days.

If you are in doubt as to what work can be done without certification, please follow the links below.